SATURDAY MATCH NIGHT ROUND-UP: Wild and Caps close gap on Kestrels

SATURDAY MATCH NIGHT ROUND-UP: Wild and Caps close gap on Kestrels
Edinburgh Capitals' narrow 3-2 win at Dundee Comets puts them to within a point of Kirkcaldy (Photo by Derek Black)

Edinburgh Capitals’ narrow 3-2 win at Dundee Comets puts them to within a point of Kirkcaldy (Photo by Derek Black)


TWO goals from Daniel Abercrombie in the opening ten minutes set North Ayrshire Wild on the road to the points at Aberdeen Lynx and the play-offs.

Wild confirmed their place in the final eight with their fifth road win from their last six trips and moved to within a point of Kirkcaldy Kestrels at the top of the league.

Abercrombie put Stevie Andrews’ side ahead with the opening two goals to give Lynx some work to do as they looked to salvage something from a season that hasn’t quite lived up to expectation.

Alan Maitland then made it three without reply as North Ayrshire took the game by a vice like grip, but Ross McIntosh pulled one back to reduce the deficit.

Alan Gibson then added Wild’s fourth during the second period – a goal that confirmed the points in the end – despite McIntosh grabbing a second for Aberdeen to halve the lead.

In the end, Wild came out on top, but with three regular season games remaining, are still very much in the title hunt.


EDINBURGH CAPITALS’ road to recovery continued as they held off Dundee Comets to claim both points on Tayside on Saturday night.

Robert Brown’s penalty for roughing gave the Caps a man advantage and they duly took advantage as Mark Paterson scored on the powerplay to take the lead.

They made it two before the first break, again with a player more as Michael Ireland took his opportunity to give the Comets some food for thought.

Edinburgh only had a full team of 11 players and Dundee managed to hit back through Ross Johnston to cut the lead to one.

But another powerplay yielded another goal, this time through Sean Donaldson as they piled more misery on the Tayside men, who had almost double a team.

Although Lewis McIntosh struck with five minutes to go, Dundee couldn’t force at least a draw as their outside title hopes took a massive dent, but enhanced the Caps’ own hopes.


KILMARNOCK STORM will end the season bottom of the table after this latest defeat meant they cannot mathematically climb any more.

This was the seventh time in their last nine they had conceded double figures and for Dundee Tigers, this victory moves them to within a top half place after picking up their fourth victory in five.

Scott Marr opened the scoring late in the first period and his second early in the middle period triggered a four-goal salvo in a five minute spell as Grant Reekie, Stuart Barnett and Andrew Henderson all scored.

Marr added his hat-trick goal and Tigers’ sixth before Kilmarnock found the net through Adam Stuart. Paul Guilcher made it 7-1 before the second interval.

The Tayside outfit made the scoreline even more emphatic as Kris Phillips, Robbie Barnett, Reekie’s second and Dan Topping all found the net to take it to 11. Myles Watson scored a late consolation for Kilmarnock.


MORAY TYPHOONS scored ten in Dumfries to climb into the play-off reckoning, dumping Solway Sharks below the line as their recent run of poor form continued.

The home side were four down after the opening period when Michael Ferguson, Fraser Munro, Steven Mackin and Harry Ferguson all struck to give Typhoons a comfortable lead.

Jack Durkacz and a second from Harry Ferguson opened up a six-goal gulf before Sharks’ player-coach Jamie Kerr pulled one back.

Kevin Russell restored it however, but the Dumfries hit back again through two by Scott Henderson as Solway gave themselves a slight fighting chance.

Moray finished the game with aplomb though as Michael Ferguson scored his second either side of two from Graham Ramshaw late in the third period to put them in the top eight.

Leave a Comment